Oxygen is a colourless, odourless gas which helps in combustion. It has atomic number eight. This article will show you interesting facts about oxygen.
Physical properties of Oxygen
|Melting point||54.36 K|
|Boiling point||90.188 K|
|Oxidation states||-2, -1, +1, +2|
|Ionization energy ( first)||1313.9 KJ/mole|
2. Oxygen is in the gaseous form at room temperature.
3. It is the third most abundant element in the universe.
4. It is the most abundant element by mass in the earth’s crust.
5. Antoine Lavoisier was the first to name the gas as oxygen
6. Oxygen was discovered by Carl Wilhelm Scheele in 1771.
7. There are various allotropes of oxygen – Atomic oxygen, Single oxygen, Ozone, Tetraoxygen, and solid oxygen etc.
8. About 0.9 % mass of the Sun consists of oxygen.
9. Oxygen dissolves easily in freshwater as compared to sea water.
10. There are three naturally occurring isotopes of oxygen – Oxygen 16, Oxygen 17, Oxygen 18.
11. It has a high electronegativity value so most of the compounds are ionic in nature.
12. Due to high electronegativity, oxygen forms hydrogen bonding.
13. Oxygen cannot show coordination number greater than four as d orbital is absent.
14. It is paramagnetic in nature.
15. The oxidation state of oxygen is -2 in most of the compound. But -1 is found to be in some compounds such as peroxides.
16. It is believed that about 70 % of free oxygen on the earth is produced by Green algae and cyanobacteria in the marine environment.
17. 200 cubic centimeter of oxygen can be dissolved in 1 liter of blood.
18. An adult inhales about 1.8 to 2.4 grams of oxygen in a minute at rest.